Weekly website postings from the Public Archives and Records Office will give Islanders insight into life on Prince Edward Island in 1864 and will serve as a great way to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Charlottetown Conference.
A new almanac from the Public Archives and Records Office will provide readers with an overview of life on Prince Edward Island 150 years ago and will be a great addition to the 2014 celebrations.
The Prince Edward Island Museum and Heritage Foundation has commissioned a reprint of the most comprehensive property atlas ever published of Prince Edward Island. The new reprint of the Meacham's 1880 Atlas is on sale now.
The PEI Museum Heritage Awards
has been re-scheduled.
A very tentative new date is
April 21, 2015 at 7pm in Beaconfield's Carrige House
Award winners will
be notified by letter with
a confirmed date in the coming weeks!
POSTPONED TO MARCH 9 AT 7PM in BEACONSFIELD'S CARRIAGE HOUSE
Panel Discussion - Renovating & Restoring Buildings
plumbing, electrical, structural, painting and construction issues
presented by the Institute for Architectural Studies & Conservation
Admission by Donation - Light Refreshments Served
Call 902-368-6603 for information!
Samuel Holland 250 Commemorations
Highlight the Impact of his Work on Island Identity
His Honour, H. Frank Lewis, Lt. Governor of PEI, Honourary Chair of the
Samuel Holland 250 Commemorations Committee
Committee Chair, David Keenlyside,
Executive Director of the PEI Museum & Heritage Foundation
“Samuel Holland’s work was a great influence on the development of Prince Edward Island. This important anniversary is an opportunity to raise awareness of the impact of his map on our province,” said Premier Robert Ghiz.
Various public activities including a monthly lecture series, an education program integrated into the school curriculum for multiple grade levels, as well as an overall awareness campaign will commemorate the 250th anniversary. The highlight of the Samuel Holland 250 Commemorations will be the restoration and display of Samuel Holland's original 1765 map of Prince Edward Island which will be part of an exhibit at the Confederation Centre Art Gallery later this year.
The Samuel Holland 250 Commemorations Committee is spearheading the commemorations under the leadership of Chair David Keenlyside, Executive Director of the PEI Museum and Heritage Foundation, with His Honour, Lieutenant Governor H. Frank Lewis, serving as the Committee’s Honourary Chair.
“We are very pleased and grateful that His Honour, H. Frank Lewis, has graciously agreed to serve as the Honourary Chair of the Samuel Holland 250 Commemorations Committee,” said David Keenlyside. “The Lieutenant Governor avidly supports promoting Prince Edward Island’s history and heritage. He will be a wonderful, energetic champion of the many activities organized to commemorate this important anniversary.”
Additional commemoration activities will be announced over the coming months. Samuel Holland 250 supporting partners include the Province of Prince Edward Island, PEI Museum & Heritage Foundation, Holland College, University of Prince Edward Island, Confederation Centre of the Arts, City of Summerside, City of Charlottetown and Parks Canada.
“The 250th anniversary of the completion of Captain Holland’s map is another excellent opportunity to celebrate our history and to pass to the next generation an appreciation of major influences in the development of PEI's special character,” said His Honour, H. Frank Lewis. “I am delighted to be part of these important commemorations.”
In 1764-65, surveyor Samuel Holland, Surveyor General for British North America, created the first truly modern, accurate map of Prince Edward Island. Holland’s map shaped Prince Edward Island’s settlement, patterns of land ownership, the familiar place-names that dot the landscape, and even its status as a province. The focus of the Samuel Holland 250 commemorations will be to educate Islanders and visitors about Samuel Holland, the historical significance of the map, its profound influence on the Island identity, and how it continues to define Prince Edward Island today. The commemorations will also provide an ideal opportunity to celebrate and explore Prince Edward Island. Contact Andrew Sprague, Communications Officer for Department of Tourism for information - (902) 368-5535
Immediately below, is a link to the UPEI Robertson Library Website, where you may access all of the The Island Magazines, inlcuding those now out of print. http://vre2.upei.ca/islandmagazine/fedora/repositor
Callbeck’s of Bedeque: A Century of Island Enterprise
by Boyde Beck - $24.95
For Sale at Eptek, the Acadian Museum,
Beaconsfield and The Bookmark in the Charlottetown Mall
Call 902-368-6600 for information!
This PEI Museum publication, in partnership with the Bedeque Area Historical Society, is the story of how Callbeck's developed over three generations - Will Callbeck, who started the business as a tailor shop in 1891; his son Ralph, who developed it into one of the biggest country stores in the country (and who opened one of the first, if not the first, supermarkets on PEI in the mid-1950s);
and Ralph's children, Bill and Catherine, who carried the business through to the 21st century.
It is also a story about general stores, how important they
were in community life and how they faded away as rural
Prince Edward Island began to change in the late 20th century.
Alex B. Campbell:
The PEI Premier Who Rocked the Cradle
Written by Wade MacLauchlan
and many others, are available at all seven of our museums,
although 4 of the sites are seasonal.
In winter, the giftshops/bookstores at
Beaonsfield Historic House, Eptek Art & Culture Centre
and the Acadian Museum are open.
Cost is $34.95 + 5% HST- Purchase on line at http://www.alexbcampbell.com/ (shipping extra)
(some locations are open summers only)
Avonlea Village, Carr's Lobster Pound, L. M. Montgomery Homestead, MacPhee' Save Easy and Souris Home Hardware, Cows Creamery, Anne of Green Gables Chocolates, PEI Preserve Co., PEI Brewing Co., The College of Piping and Celtic Performing Arts, Watermark Theatre, UPEI Bookstore and The Bookmark in the Charlottetown Mall. Contact 902-368-6600 for information.